How do I change the workflow of an Idea?
Based on your product workflow, you can assign and change the state and stage of an Idea, allowing you to track the idea through its completion.
To change the stage of an Idea, click on the Workflow tab and drag and drop the idea to the wanted stage.
Ideas can also change stage automatically if connected to an integration. If this is the case, the card will change color to match the integration branding.
The workflow tab is available from the ideas list as well as the idea itself.
What is the difference between state and workflow?
We have one main state (your backlog) and a couple spare states (unsorted and archived.) These spare states hold ideas out of your main backlog so you can focus on that in the day-to-day, but flip states when the context requires.
The workflow represents the different stages that an idea might follow through, from initial ideation through to final completion, including all the pre-delivery steps like discovery & design, delivery itself (where it's sync'd with your dev tool) and post delivery steps like beta phases, press/blog, contacting customers, and of course, validation to make sure the idea actually solved the problem it was designed to.
- Unsorted are all of those ideas that have yet to be reviewed or actioned. Generally these are categorized as 'New ideas.'
- Backlog are all of those ideas that you have already received and made edits/changes to. We generally recommend creating a stage called "In review" or "In validation" to indicate the idea has been looked at and is no longer a 'New idea' waiting to be sorted.
- Archived are all of those ideas that you have decided to remove from your Unsorted or Backlog views. We generally recommend creating statuses to indicate why, such as "Duplicate," "Not doing," or "Failed experiment," for example.
Creating your own custom workflows
You can edit your workflow stages under Account Settings > Workflow.
To create a new status, fill out the form under "+."
To delete a status, hover over the name and click on the "x" that appears next to it.
We recommend having the following setup:
- New idea (default)
- In Review - Indicates you are reviewing/validating the idea.
- Needs More Info - Indicates the idea requires more information/is being spec'd out.
- Approved for Development - Indicates the idea has been approved for development.
- Queued for Dev - The idea has been sent to the dev team and is being prepared for a sprint.
- In Development/In Progress - The idea is with the dev team and is being worked on.
- QA - The idea is being QA'd.
- Released - The idea has been released.
- Not Doing - The idea won't be done.
- Duplicate - There is a duplicate in the system.
- Failed Experiment - The experiment failed.
Creating a custom workflow filter
Once you have created your own custom workflows, you can create your own custom view with a few preselected workflows.
For example, if you only needed 5 of 10 workflows created for one team, but another team needs 8 of the 10, each team would have the ability to create their own custom view.
To do so, begin by viewing your filters and selecting all the workflows for your custom view.
Once you've selected your workflows, create a saved filter. You will be able to share this saved filter with other users.
Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful